Information and Resources on Ethics of Death and Dying
Death and Dying: Medical, Legal and Ethical Issues is a forum page on Death and Dying where students can read, discuss, and post their views about the related medical, legal and ethical issues.
Death with Dignity National Center is a non-partisan, non-profit organization. The mission of the Death with Dignity National Center is to provide information, education, research and support for the preservation, implementation, and promotion of Death with Dignity laws which allow a terminally ill, mentally competent adult the right to request and receive a prescription to hasten death under certain specific safeguards. The website provides a selection of scholarly journal articles and book reviews related to end-of-life care.
Journals on Ethics of Death and Dying
Omega: The Journal of Death and Dying is a peer-reviewed journal drawing significant contributions from the fields of psychology, sociology, medicine, anthropology, law, education, history and literature. OMEGA has emerged as the most advanced and internationally recognized forum on the subject of death and dying. It serves as a reliable guide for clinicians, social workers, and health professionals who must deal with problems in crisis management, e.g., terminal illness, fatal accidents, catastrophe, suicide and bereavement.
Books on Ethics of Death and Dying
- Ethical Issues in Death and Dying- by Tom L. Beauchamp and Robert M. Veatch (ISBN:9780132827324)
- Ethical Issues in Death and Dying- by Robert F. Weir (ISBN: 9780231043076)
- Hard Choices for Loving People: CPR, Artificial Feeding, Comfort Care and the Patient with a Life-Threatening Illness- by Hank Dunn (ISBN: 9781928560067)
- Death and Dying: An Annotated Bibliography of the Thanatological Literature- by John F. Szabo (ISBN: 9780810872752)
- Death’s Dominion: Ethics At the End of Life- by Simon Woods (ISBN: 9780335211609)
- The Ethics of Assisted Death When Life Becomes a Burden Too Hard to Bear- by: Kenneth Cauthen(ISBN: 9780788013324)
- Culture of Death: The Assault on Medical Ethics in America- by Wesley J. Smith (ISBN:9781893554498)
- Rethinking Life and Death: The Collapse of Our Traditional Ethics- by Peter Singer (ISBN:9780312144012)
- Christian Ethics: The Issues of Life and Death By Larry Chouinard, David Fiensy, and George F Pickens (ISBN: 9781608994991)
- Assisted Death: A Study in Ethics and Law by L. W. Sumner (ISBN: 9780199607983)
Articles on Ethics of Death and Dying
- R.A. Poletti “Ethics of Death and Dying”
- Pablo Rodríguez del Pozo and Joseph J. Fins “Death, Dying and Informatics: Misrepresenting Religion on MedLine”
- Mark G. Kuczewski “Re-Reading On Death & Dying: What Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Can Teach Clinical Bioethics”
- Lawrence E. Fraley “The Ethics of Medical Practices During Protracted Dying: A Natural Science Perspective”
- James F. Childress “Ethical Issues in Death and Dying”
- Bernard E. Rollin “Ethics and euthanasia”
- BBC Ethics Guide What is Euthanasia?
- Joseph Fletcher “Ethics and Euthanasia“
- Daniel N. Lerman “Second Opinion: Inconsistent Deference to Medical Ethics in Death Penalty Jurisprudence”
- T.M. Wilkinson “Rights: The Ethics of Research on the Dead”
- Penny J. White “Errors and Ethics: Dilemmas in Death”
- Ron House “The Death Penalty and the Principle of Goodness”
- John B. Dossetor “Death Provides Renewed Life for some, but Ethical Hazards for Transplant Teams”
- Farzaneh Zahedi “End of Life Ethical Issues and Islamic Views”
This web resource is funded in part by the North Dakota Humanities Council, a nonprofit, independant state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities